Got Green is a people of color-led organization based in Southeast Seattle working to ensure the benefits of the green movement – green jobs, access to healthy food, energy efficient and healthy homes, and public transit – reach low-income communities and communities of color. We do this by cultivating leaders to educate, advocate, organize, and build coalitions. Got Green’s constituents are low-income people and people of color in Seattle and King County (we recognize that many of our community have been pushed out of the city due to gentrification, so we extend our reach to surrounding South King County neighborhoods.). We have a base of 91 currently active volunteer leaders, 80% of whom are people of color.
We believe that lifting up the opinions and the voices of disproportionately impacted groups will lead to real solutions for our community. We have formed grassroots committees of low-income women, unemployed workers, and young people to shape and lead Got Green’s work. Our board of directors consists of Got Green members – a majority of people of color – who lead “hands-on” organizing and ensure our sustainability. People of color and low-income people are leading at all levels in Got Green.
Position Details and Background
Got Green is launching a community-developed survey to reach 150 people living in South Seattle and South King County, primarily people of color and people with low-incomes. Over the coming months we will be working to build with the people we meet through this survey process and organize our communities for Climate Justice.
The Climate Justice Organizer will grow the climate justice committee and organize to bring to life what we find in our survey. They will build up a team of volunteers and leaders, the Climate Justice Steering Committee, to lead grassroots community organizing campaigns while providing training and support to the team.
The work is 40 hours/week, and primarily in the South Seattle area and surrounding South King County neighborhoods.
* Develop and implement campaigns together with the steering committee that will advance priorities identified in the Climate Justice Project and advances Got Green’s mission;
* Organize logistics for and help plan volunteer steering committee meetings and communicate regularly with project volunteers;
* Support steering committee to organize a community roundtable and report back events;
* Recruit, train and support community volunteers from racially diverse backgrounds to do data entry; design materials; speak publicly about the project and more.
* Conduct regular community outreach resulting in low income people of color and front line communities 1) joining the project; 2)attending meetings and events;
* Create media, such as blog posts, emails, press releases, flyer content, to communicate information from the committee to various audiences;
* Work with Got Green staff and leadership to advance Got Green’s mission and support a broader social justice movement.
* Work with Got Green staff to complete invoices and reports; submit timely invoices and receipts;
* Publicly represent the Climate Justice Project and Got Green in an authentic and professional manner; be willing to speak about personal experiences with poverty and other issues facing Southeast Seattle residents.
* Demonstrated commitment – through volunteer activities or paid employment – to improving conditions for young workers, people of color, and low income families;
* Demonstrated experience leading community projects; organizing campaigns; or special events;
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to connect with low income/working class/ young people of color;
* Responsible, accountable and possesses good follow through;
* Paid or volunteer experience with a variety of community outreach methods including door knocks, survey or petition collection, home visits and other face-to-face outreach method;
* Decent writing skills and computer literacy.
*Understanding of Climate Justice principles and grassroots movements
* Previous experience with policy and community organizing
* Can speak another language besides English
Salary $40-45K based on 1.0 FTE. Annually DOE plus good benefits
Got Green is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
SEND RESUME, BRIEF PERSONAL STATEMENT, & 2 REFERENCES TO CONTACT TO: Jill@gotgreen.org by May 25, 2015. Call Jill Mangaliman at 206-290-5136 for questions.